Welcome to Further Education!
The focus of your child’s time at FE is on the development of the ‘whole’ student and to prepare them for life beyond Icknield.
In FE we build on prior learning and develop new skills in order to achieve our aims. The students will experience numerous opportunities, including cooking, housekeeping, shopping, enterprise activities, work experience, functional literacy and numeracy, drama and music, both on-site and out in the community, to use and develop skills in the following 5 areas:
OUR 5 STUDENT DEVELOPMENT AIMS
1. Develop Personally.
2. Develop Physically.
3. Develop Independence.
4. Develop Cognitively.
5. Develop Communication skills.
During a student’s three years in FE their areas of study will fall into the following 5 focus areas:
THE 5 CURRICULUM LEARNING AREAS
1. Skills for Life and Learning.
2. Personal and Social Development.
3. Vocational Studies.
4. Sport, Physical Activity and Leisure.
5. Developing Creativity and Expression.
Learning is tailored to the needs of each individual student and although students of varying abilities may be undertaking similar activities, the learning outcomes will be specific to each student’s needs. Students work towards an ASDAN accredited course to recognise and celebrate their achievements.
The core needs of every child are at the forefront of our minds when timetabling and creating learning programmes for students.
As a staff team we place the highest value on the embedded skills that our students leave us with and take into their future lives.
What's been happening this Autumn Term
We have loved being able to get out in the community again!
- The students have been visiting local cafes and shops practising their communication and life skills. In PHSE we have been thinking about self-concept including what they are good at and what makes us unique as inviduals. They have also started to think about health lifestyles including the importance of sleep, exercise and a healthy diet.
- For their Community Action Project they have been re-painting all our outside furniture in peparation for winter and in Enterprise, plans are being made for all the Christmas cards and gifts we are going to make.
- The students have loved riding again at Tedworth stables; lots of students have ridden a horse for the first time!
- A highlight of this term is being able to go swimming again. We have also been using the leisure centre facilities to play badminton.
- In literacy the students have been focusing on building their employablity skills, spelling, handwriting and reading. In maths there has been a focus on measures as the students are building their own single string guitars in Creative Arts.
- Phonics has contiued this term alongside Book Club where the students are focusing on their reading comprehension. There are also sensory story and cooking sessions.
- The FE kitchen has been busy with meals such as chicken pasta bake, spaghetti Bolgnese and cottage pie being made.
- We also have weekly Zumba, Pilaties and tem games PE sessions.
How are we fitting it all in?!