Welcome to Further Education!
The focus of your child’s time at FE is on the development of the ‘whole’ student and to prepare them for life beyond Icknield.
In FE we build on prior learning and develop new skills in order to achieve our aims. The students will experience numerous opportunities, including cooking, housekeeping, shopping, enterprise activities, work experience, functional literacy and numeracy, drama and music, both on-site and out in the community, to use and develop skills in the following 5 areas:
OUR 5 STUDENT DEVELOPMENT AIMS
1. Develop Personally.
2. Develop Physically.
3. Develop Independence.
4. Develop Cognitively.
5. Develop Communication skills.
During a student’s three years in FE their areas of study will fall into the following 5 focus areas:
THE 5 CURRICULUM LEARNING AREAS
1. Skills for Life and Learning.
2. Personal and Social Development.
3. Vocational Studies.
4. Sport, Physical Activity and Leisure.
5. Developing Creativity and Expression.
Learning is tailored to the needs of each individual student and although students of varying abilities may be undertaking similar activities, the learning outcomes will be specific to each student’s needs. Students work towards an ASDAN accredited course to recognise and celebrate their achievements.
The core needs of every child are at the forefront of our minds when timetabling and creating learning programmes for students.
As a staff team we place the highest value on the embedded skills that our students leave us with and take into their future lives.
What's happening this Spring Term
We are loving our weekly visits to local cafes and shops practising making choices and increasing our independence. We are brilliant at making shopping lists and finding everything we need.
In PHSE we have been thinking about mindfulness and finding new ways to recognise and cope with strong emotions. We have been using our senses to help focus our thoughts and stay calm.
- For our Community Action Project we will be building a new raised planter in the garden and deciding what to grow; we can’t wait for the warmer weather! In Enterprise we have been coming up with ideas to make some money so watch this space.
- The students have continued to love riding again at Tedworth stables; some students have trotted on their own!
- We are all enjoying swimming and learning how to stay safe in the water. We have also been using the leisure centre facilities to play volleyball; it gets very competitive.
- In literacy the students have been focusing on building their signing, speaking and listening skills, as well as spelling, handwriting and reading. In maths there has been a focus on number and shape.
- Phonics has continued this term alongside Book Club where the students are focusing on their reading comprehension. There are also sensory story and cooking sessions.
- This term, everyone will be having travel training and will experience getting the train and bus and all that involves. We will also focus on road safety.
- The FE kitchen continues to be busy with students cooking their own lunch once a week.
- We also have weekly Zumba, Pilates and team games PE sessions.
How are we fitting it all in?!